11.2.10

EDWARD JOHNSTON

EDWARD JOHNSTON



This typography is really great to read. The line is quite clear. The style is so simple but also has a bit tactics in some letters such as “E’’ the length of each horizontal line is different and I think it is made look more interesting. His design really works and it has been used continuously in the London Underground with number of updates over the years. It is still going strong today and does not look like it will go anywhere quickly.


This is Edward Johnston’s formal handwriting. This upright round handwriting was to be written with a square-cut flat pen. The style of his handwriting is so amazing. It looks soft but also strong because it has the curl line and angle line in each part of a letter. It is beautiful but hard to read for me because it has too many curling lines in each letter. I think it may be better if we use this font together with another font that look a bit similar but more simple than this one.



This is also the formal handwriting and used with a square-cut flat pen. I think this one has its unique style and it is really great to mix the letters together such as the word “THE”. At first I thought it is read “TE” and the word “Where” is also amazing. It is not just only the style of typography but it like a painting.



This one is the calendar that Edward Johnston created. It is interesting to create another style of calendar but I think I do not get it. The numbers on the right hand side are the number of days in each month but I do not know what the numbers and the letters on the left hand side are about. But the style of his handwriting is also wonderful. I like the way that he wrote the number and I think Edward had several styles of hand writing that is made me surprised.



For me, each letter looks interesting individually. The size of each letter is not too thin and not too tall. It looks not to difficult to write. Edward Johnston had many difference styles of his handwriting and mostly in each style always used a square-cut flat pen but this one he used ink. It looks very interesting in term of different shades and tones.

No comments:

Post a Comment