8.2.10

Geoff McFetridge



I coincidently stumbled across Geoff McFetridge’s work during the Zine project. I sought inspiration from www.nieves.ch; unknowingly I used alot of Geoff McFetridge’s work as my main source of inspiration. His work is a form of escapism it allows the viewer to experience a different realm. It’s childlike in a sophisticated sense. His drawings are so linear and coherent yet the content (the form they begin to take) is so intense and enigmatical. Therefore the Zine project was a fitting receptacle to place this artistic diction, considering it was thematically concerned with lies, myths and propaganda.
With graphics Geoff McFetridge is convincing people to believe that shapes are things, and that these things can be read like language. In his work images and language are equals. The images are often simple, and the work appears to be seeking to communicate clearly, however he uses clarity to confuse and manipulate.
“I am interested in manipulating people’s perception. I am happiest when my work changes how people see things that within the work there is opportunity to have a paradigm shift. This shift or way of seeing is based on the way I see. Ideally, when someone's mind connects with my work it in some way affects the way they see all things.”
His work attempts to create, on a very small scale is something like acid therapy, or having a hallucinatory experience; you might never look at the straight world the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment